Gaming News

Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo Says U.S. Is Considering Banning App ‘TikTok’ Due To Privacy Issues

While speaking with Fox News on Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the United States is considering the possibility of banning popular social media platform TikTok as concerns grow over Chinese surveillance. 

Pompeo said that this issue is being taken seriously and has been a discussion for a while now. “We are taking this very seriously and we are certainly looking at it. We have worked on this very issue for a long time, whether it’s the problem of having Huawei technology in your infrastructure – we’ve gone all over the world and we are making real progress getting that out – we had declared ZTE a danger to American national security. With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too.”

The United States would not be the first country to ban TikTok, as India did so last week. In a statement, a TikTok spokesperson said that the company has “never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so if asked. TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across safety, security, product and public policy in the U.S. We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users.”

TikTok has grown immensely popular in the United States during the coronavirus pandemic with various social media and dance challenges by its users.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Tyler Melito

Recent Posts

‘NBA 2K27’ Reveals New Gameplay Features, Release Date, and Cover Athletes

NBA 2K27 pulled back the curtain on its next installment this week with a Global…

2 days ago

‘Grand Theft Auto 6’ Gameplay & Map Leak Online As Group Threatens Rockstar Over Digital-Only Release

Grand Theft Auto 6 is at the center of a new unauthorized leak just days…

3 days ago

‘Star Citizen’ Developer Stream Goes Up In Flames: ‘Incredibly Awkward, Cringe, Forced’

A Star Citizen livestream meant to calm frustrated fans instead became a viral cautionary tale,…

4 days ago

‘GTA 6’ Gets First-of-Its-Kind Netflix Reveal Ahead of November Launch

Rockstar Games is breaking from its usual playbook for its next major Grand Theft Auto…

5 days ago

‘Kingdom Hearts’ Anime Series Officially Greenlit At Disney+

Disney is bringing Kingdom Hearts to television. The beloved video game franchise, known for blending…

6 days ago

‘Assassin’s Creed Black Flag’ Story Continues As Edward Kenway Returns in Forgotten Temple

Fans of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag have another chance to return to the world…

1 week ago