Activision had already agreed to bring three more titles of the massively popular series onto PlayStation before being purchased by Microsoft. CEO of Microsoft Gaming, Phil Spencer, has confirmed that they plan to honor all previous agreements that Activision made before the acquisition.
Had good calls this week with leaders at Sony. I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation. Sony is an important part of our industry, and we value our relationship.
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) January 20, 2022
“I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation,” he said. “Sony is an important part of our industry, and we value our relationship.”
The three games promised supposedly consist of two traditional titles, and a new version of the massively popular battle royale game Call of Duty Warzone, all of which are expected to release over the course of the next two years, according to gaming journalist Jason Schreier.
This makes it unclear what Microsoft plans to do with the franchise after these three games, and if PlayStation players can expect to receive any more Call of Duty titles past 2023. In the past, Microsoft has chosen to make the games from the studios they buy Xbox and PC exclusive, however, they did decide to keep the Minecraft series and all of its spin-offs on PlayStation, making it impossible to know what they’ll do here.
Call of Duty is consistently one of the best selling games of the year, which would be a major draw towards the Xbox consoles if it were to be made exclusive, but it would also mean that Microsoft would lose out on the revenue from in-game microtransactions from the massive PlayStation install base.
No further plans about the future of the series have been said.