Critics Are Piling On Blizzard After Another Incident Involving Hong Kong

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Hearthstone

Hearthstone

Blizzard has faced much criticism over its handling of Hearthstone player Ng Wai Chung, better known as “blitzchung,” as they suspended him for a year and took away his winnings over the year for showing support for the Hong Kong protesters.

The controversy has only grown and the critics now include competing game companies, sitting U.S senators and even employees of Blizzard themselves.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida)  tweeted a criticism of the move saying, “China is using access to market as leverage to crush free speech globally.” Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) was even more blunt, saying that Blizzard is “willing to humiliate itself to please the Chinese Communist Party. No American company should censor calls for freedom to make a quick buck.”

Other gaming companies have taken advantage of the PR misstep, with many getting the opportunity to say they wouldn’t make same mistake. Epic Games issued a statement on the matter.

WATCH ‘ARROW’ HOTTIE EMILY BETT RICKARDS TALK HER FAVORITE GAMES & STRATEGIES!

“Epic supports everyone’s right to express their views on politics and human rights,” the company told The Verge. “We wouldn’t ban or punish a Fortnite player or content creator for speaking on these topics.”

#BoycottBlizzard is trending on Twitter as another incident occurred last night in the Collegiate Hearthstone Championship. American university held up a sign that said Free Hong Kong, boycott Blizzard” during the broadcast, causing them to be quickly cut away.

Even Blizzard employees have taken issue with their companies stance as they made their own statements by covering the “Every Voice Matters” and Think Globally” at their workplace.

Brian Kibler, a Hearthstone streamer who has also become a regular caster and event host, issued a statement on the ruling.

“That kind of appeasement is simply not something I can in good conscience be associated with,” Kibler said. “When I learned about the ruling, I reached out to Blizzard and informed them that I no longer feel comfortable casting the Grandmasters finals at BlizzCon. I will not be a smiling face on camera that tacitly endorses this decision. Unless something changes, I will have no involvement in Grandmasters moving forward.”

Blizzard has paid heavily so far for their decision to punish a player’s right to free speech but as of now, show no sign of changing their position on blitzchung or the matter. Blizzard won’t be able to avoid the topic for long, as they will assuredly have some important questions to answers during Blizzcon on Nov. 1

About Author

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

‘NBA 2K27’ Reveals New Gameplay Features, Release Date, and Cover Athletes

‘Grand Theft Auto 6’ Gameplay & Map Leak Online As Group Threatens Rockstar Over Digital-Only Release

‘Star Citizen’ Developer Stream Goes Up In Flames: ‘Incredibly Awkward, Cringe, Forced’

You may have missed

‘NBA 2K27’ Reveals New Gameplay Features, Release Date, and Cover Athletes

‘Grand Theft Auto 6’ Gameplay & Map Leak Online As Group Threatens Rockstar Over Digital-Only Release

‘Star Citizen’ Developer Stream Goes Up In Flames: ‘Incredibly Awkward, Cringe, Forced’

‘GTA 6’ Gets First-of-Its-Kind Netflix Reveal Ahead of November Launch

‘Kingdom Hearts’ Anime Series Officially Greenlit At Disney+

‘Assassin’s Creed Black Flag’ Story Continues As Edward Kenway Returns in Forgotten Temple

‘Hell Let Loose: Vietnam’ Launches After Delay, Draws Praise For Brutal Combat

Bethesda Devs Greet Xbox CEO With Giant Inflatable Rat Over Mass Layoffs

‘Star Wars Zero Company’ Preview: Why This XCOM-Style Tactics Game Could Be 2026’s Best Star Wars Title

‘Call of Duty’ Is Retiring ‘Black Ops’ & ‘Modern Warfare’ For 2027

Fan-Made Overhaul Breathes New Life Into the Original ‘Red Dead Redemption’

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time’s Big Year Gets Complicated by A New AI-Built Port

‘Ghost Recon: Wildlands’ Gets Major Free Update Nearly A Decade After Launch

Fortnite’s Ironmouse Sprite Returns For Good After Early Launch Mishap

Capcom Producer Yoshiki Okamoto Says He Bluffed Nintendo Into Greenlighting the ‘Zelda Oracle’ Games

‘Mistfall Hunter’ Launches With Fans Comparing It To ‘Dark Souls’ & ‘Arc Raiders’

Palworld’s Latest Patch Squashes Boss-Fight Crashes & Softlocks

After Massive Staff Cuts, Bungie Studio Mulls Future Of Hit Games ‘Marathon’ & ‘Destiny’

Resident Evil 4’s Remake Dominates the Current Generation’s Remake Boom

Fortnite’s New ‘Cuddles & Chaos’ Event Hands Out Free Loot While Betting Big On Pet Sidekicks

‘Halo: Campaign Evolved’ Enters Early Access, Marking Franchise’s First PlayStation Release

Victor Wembanyama, Caitlin Clark & Derrick Rose Headline ‘NBA 2K27’ Covers Across Three Editions

‘Cyberpunk 2077: The Board Game’ Reveals New Gameplay Ahead of Late-Pledge Deadline

After Sony To End Physical PlayStation Game Discs By 2028, Gamers Vent Frustrations

‘Palworld 1.0’ Joins Original On Steam’s All-Time Top Concurrent Player List

‘Pokémon Legends: Z-A’ Ranked Battles Are Getting A Major Shakeup On July 15

Ubisoft Defends $85 In Day-One DLC As ‘Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag Resynced’ Draws Steam Backlash