Crossword Fans Are Upset With ‘New York Times’ For Removing .Puz Format

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
N.Y. Times Headquarters (Image: Getty)

N.Y. Times Headquarters (Image: Getty)

The New York Times has announced that the paper will stop supporting .puz format, meaning that Crossword has not be available on third-party applications after August 10.

In a press release, The New York Times revealed that the editorial team will terminate the .puz format for technical improvement. “Starting Aug. 10, we will no longer support crossword play on Across Lite in order to focus on editing more puzzles and improving our internal tools and processes,” it wrote. “This means we won’t provide downloadable .puz files for use on that platform for future or archive puzzles.”

This appears to be a subtle change, as crossword fans still have access to the game on NYT Crossword App or the official website, but the .puz format has been around for over 20 years. Crossword solvers have grown used to the convenience and consistency of this platform. So the change means many will need to break longstanding habits. NYT‘s editorial team faced a downpour of criticism for this decision.

Dan Feyer, the award-winning crossword solver, has a detailed take condemning this decision on Twitter, referring to it as “maddening.”

“This change benefits NONE of the millions of online #NYTXW solvers who pay an annual subscription for access to the crosswords (… sorry, “Games”),” he wrote. “It is a pure cash grab, removing the convenience that has been part of digital crosswords since the mid-’90s.”

In response to the accusation of a “cash grab,” Editorial Director Everdeen Mason posted the following:

https://twitter.com/EverdeenMason/status/1422548999018516482

“I’m trying to build something where the editors can actually edit and make games rather than adapt things for tools we can’t control. It takes a lot of time, and I’m confident this is the best move for my team,” Mason said on Twitter. “My team is small and extremely good at what they do, and part of my job is to overhaul things so their lives are easier. We also need to adapt to future technologies and build a foundation we can make more things on.”

Though the technical transition is currently opposed by many users, Mason appears to be rather confident. Even though some players attempted to remind Mason of the format’s long history, she argued that “saying something has existed for 25 years holds no sway over me. I was hired to bring change and this was a small one lol” (yes she wrote that lol).

So far, the paper has not said anything about revisiting the decision. Considering the tone of the editorial director, the hope for a reversal also seems dim.

About Author

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

‘NBA 2K27’ Reveals New Gameplay Features, Release Date, and Cover Athletes

‘Grand Theft Auto 6’ Gameplay & Map Leak Online As Group Threatens Rockstar Over Digital-Only Release

‘Star Citizen’ Developer Stream Goes Up In Flames: ‘Incredibly Awkward, Cringe, Forced’

You may have missed

‘NBA 2K27’ Reveals New Gameplay Features, Release Date, and Cover Athletes

‘Grand Theft Auto 6’ Gameplay & Map Leak Online As Group Threatens Rockstar Over Digital-Only Release

‘Star Citizen’ Developer Stream Goes Up In Flames: ‘Incredibly Awkward, Cringe, Forced’

‘GTA 6’ Gets First-of-Its-Kind Netflix Reveal Ahead of November Launch

‘Kingdom Hearts’ Anime Series Officially Greenlit At Disney+

‘Assassin’s Creed Black Flag’ Story Continues As Edward Kenway Returns in Forgotten Temple

‘Hell Let Loose: Vietnam’ Launches After Delay, Draws Praise For Brutal Combat

Bethesda Devs Greet Xbox CEO With Giant Inflatable Rat Over Mass Layoffs

‘Call of Duty’ Is Retiring ‘Black Ops’ & ‘Modern Warfare’ For 2027

Fan-Made Overhaul Breathes New Life Into the Original ‘Red Dead Redemption’

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time’s Big Year Gets Complicated by A New AI-Built Port

‘Ghost Recon: Wildlands’ Gets Major Free Update Nearly A Decade After Launch

Fortnite’s Ironmouse Sprite Returns For Good After Early Launch Mishap

Capcom Producer Yoshiki Okamoto Says He Bluffed Nintendo Into Greenlighting the ‘Zelda Oracle’ Games

‘Mistfall Hunter’ Launches With Fans Comparing It To ‘Dark Souls’ & ‘Arc Raiders’

Palworld’s Latest Patch Squashes Boss-Fight Crashes & Softlocks

After Massive Staff Cuts, Bungie Studio Mulls Future Of Hit Games ‘Marathon’ & ‘Destiny’

Resident Evil 4’s Remake Dominates the Current Generation’s Remake Boom

Fortnite’s New ‘Cuddles & Chaos’ Event Hands Out Free Loot While Betting Big On Pet Sidekicks

‘Halo: Campaign Evolved’ Enters Early Access, Marking Franchise’s First PlayStation Release

Victor Wembanyama, Caitlin Clark & Derrick Rose Headline ‘NBA 2K27’ Covers Across Three Editions

‘Cyberpunk 2077: The Board Game’ Reveals New Gameplay Ahead of Late-Pledge Deadline

After Sony To End Physical PlayStation Game Discs By 2028, Gamers Vent Frustrations

‘Palworld 1.0’ Joins Original On Steam’s All-Time Top Concurrent Player List

‘Pokémon Legends: Z-A’ Ranked Battles Are Getting A Major Shakeup On July 15

Ubisoft Defends $85 In Day-One DLC As ‘Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag Resynced’ Draws Steam Backlash